I have been publishing professionally for quite a while now through a variety of venues and genres. If you are new to me and my work, this Electric Literature interview by Adrian van Young does a great job of capturing my eclectic interests and weirdness. And below are some publication highlights and most recent publications. For a complete overview of my writing since 2006, you can find a pretty comprehensive bibliography here.
Please note: This page is currently being updated and does not reflect my most recent activity, which can be found here.
- Mechanical Animals: Tales at the Crux of Creatures and Tech, Hex Publishers, 2018 (edited with Jason Heller)
- nominated for a Colorado Book Award
- Calls for Submission, Pelekinesis, 2017 (short story collection)
- Wandering Spirits: Traveling Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Bicentennial Special Limited Edition Chapbook of 200 copies. Tallhat Press. June 2016. (Out of Print).
- The Steampunk Bible, co-authored with Jeff Vandermeer, Abrams Image
- nominated for Hugo Award and World Fantasy Award.
“Dive in Me,” co-writing with Jesse Bullington. Pseudopod, Episode 715,Narrated by Alethea Kontis, introduced/hosted by Jordan Shiveley
SYNOPSIS: Three girls face their fears and test the limits of their friendships in this lush Florida Gothic set in the mid-1990s.
“Dr. Lambshead’s Dark Room,” Pseudopod, Episode 699: Flash on the Borderlands LI: Quaint and Curious Forgotten Lore. Narrated by Tatiana Grey, Hosted by Alasdair Stuart
SYNOPSIS: Written for Ann and Jeff Vandermeer’s Thackery T. Lambshead’s Cabinet of Curiosities, and details my own chance encounter with the legendary Dr. Lambshead and his unorthodox means to help me come to terms with my Poepathy.
“The Veils of Sanctuary.” SISTERHOOD: DARK TALES & SECRET HISTORIES. Edited by Nate Pedersen. Chaosium. Forthcoming 2020.
SYNOPSIS: Follow Elise Barton through the streets of Paris as she unravels and unveils a Bas Bleu mystery as old as the Gorgon’s tale.
“Arrangement in Juniper and Champagne.” MIXED-UP: COCKTAIL RECIPIES (AND FLASH FICTION) FOR THE DISCERNING DRINKER (AND READER). Edited by Nick Mamatas and Molly Tanzer. Skyhorse Publishing. Forthcoming October 3, 2017.
SYNOPSIS: A short piece about fading friendships and public intoxication.
- “Celebrity Robots of the Great Depression,” LOST TRANSMISSIONS: The Secret History of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Edited by Desirina Boskovich Abrams Image, 2019.
- “The Hyena’s Escape Plan: Leonora Carrington’s Advice on Surviving Brexit.” The Debutante, the feminist-surrealist arts journal. Vol. 1. Autumn/Winter 2019.
- “Thy Eternal Romance: The Bad Romance of Sarah Helen Whitman and Edgar Allan Poe.” 2019 NecronomiconCon Memento Book. Providence, RI. August 2019.
- “Painting With Blasphemy: An Interview with Carrie Ann Baade.” Beautiful Bizarre magazine. July 24, 2018.
- “A Voyage Through the Analogue: An Interview with Ellen Rogers.” Beautiful Bizarre magazine. June 21, 2018.
- “Andrea Kowch: Diving Deeper into Mystery.” Beautiful Bizarre magazine (appeared in Issue 21. Print version is sold out, but digital is still available for purchase here).
- “How The Women Surrealists Are Helping Me Through Our New Political Reality,” Literary Hub: https://lithub.com/the-women-surrealists-helping-me-through-our-new-political-reality/
- “Hyenas, Horses, and Rabbit, Oh My!: Read the Leonora Carrington Centennial, Part IV,” Weird Fiction Review.com. https://weirdfictionreview.com/2017/11/hyenas-horses-rabbits-oh-part-iv/
- Book Notes: Calls for Submission,” Playlist for Largehearted Boy celebrating the release of my collection.
- My Favorite Bit” Guest blog post for Mary Robinette Kowal, discussing importance of Babes in Toyland to me and my work.